Monday, September 1, 2014

Dream Pillows


It seems as though the dream world has been very active lately. In fact, most conversations I've had with friends and acquaintances recount the wonderful or disturbing experiences we fall into as we sleep. I'm not particularly a dream interpreting expert, but when it comes to controlling, or rather consciously taking charge of your dreams, I'm more than willing to share some secrets.

When I was younger, I had incredibly vivid and frightening dreams, some which would reoccur more than once. Of course, I wasn't sure what to make of these dreams--I only knew that I was eager to rid myself of them. I began experimenting with lucid dreaming to face my fears; before bed I would tell myself what I wanted to dream about, how I wanted to resolve the situation, and what I wanted to remember. In the beginning, this approach seemed to work... but as I got deeper into my dreams and more comfortable with "wandering", I began to lose control again. Falling asleep was no longer a pleasure, it was my nightmare.

Dreaming finally got easier when I discovered the magick of dream pillows. The beauty behind a dream pillow is that you can prescribe yourself any kind of dream, so long as you blend the right herbs together. Rose hips can induce dreams of love, chamomile kindles dreams of relaxation and comfort, mugwort encourages astral projection, and so on. All you need do is simply place the herbal pouch near your head or pillow; as you sleep, inhaling the scent of the flowers or herbs creates your desired dream scenario. Even when awake, I tend to pack a small dream pillow in my purse or pack and inhale its fragrance whenever I'm feeling especially troubled. 

There are countless recipe's for dream pillows. My favorite and most comforting blend has a handful of herbal scents, all of which I believe inspire the most pleasant sleep. Though these pillows do not always guarantee dreams, they most certainly will leave you feeling relaxed and well rested.

What you need:
A cloth pouch
1 part dried lavender
1 part dried rose hips/petals
1 part dried hops
1 part dried calendula
1 part dried chamomile
1-2 drops lavender oil

I do hope you discover the magick of the dream pillow. They make wonderful Samhain gifts. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments or questions are always welcome! May your crafting be magickal. -Rori & Indigo

All photography copyrighted to Rori Healy & Indigo Peters, unless otherwise stated.

Navigation-Menus (Do Not Edit Here!)