Sunday, January 12, 2014

Apothecary: Aspen Anxiety Tonic


Though anxiety is much less common than everyday stress, the feeling can be completely overwhelming and paralyzing. Luckily we can turn to our magickal plant friends to help us unwind and relax.

I used to suffer from anxiety attacks last year and often resorted to shutting myself away in my room for hours on end. Naturally, my anxiety got even worse, especially when I had to socialize at work or during classes. This was also around the time when I was first exploring paganism and traditional healing with herbs; it seemed too good of a coincidence that the old ways had caught my attention when I suddenly needed a cure. In desperation for a remedy, I searched my bookshelves and finally came across a list of medicinal and magickal plant essences. Lo and behold, aspen was the corresponding flower essence said to calm anxiety attacks.

My little bottle of aspen anxiety tonic was a miracle. Every time I was sure to have an attack, I would place three drop under my tongue and melt away into relaxation. The sensation of the essence not only made my mouth tingle with numbness, but it also slowed my breath and made me feel more stable. After two weeks, I didn't even have to depend on the aspen any longer. I was finally over my anxiety, thanks to that lovely little flower.

I have made this remedy and many other similar tonics for friends and family and all have sworn by it. Be it depression, anxiety, despair, or any other gloomy emotion, there's most certainly a flower for you.

So you're probably wondering how I made the tonic. While most tonic and tinctures call for brandy as the base liquid, I substituted for vegetable glycerin. It's much more affordable and doesn't require you to be of drinking age to purchase. So anyway, here is the perfect recipe for preparing your lifesaving nectar:

Materials/Ingredients - 

  1. 1 Small amber bottle with a dropper
  2. Distilled water
  3. Flower Essence (Aspen or otherwise)
  4. Brandy or Vegetable Glycerin
After sanitizing a small bottle with the dropper, fill the amber bottle a little less than half way with brandy or vegetable glycerin (you can find the veggie glycerin at most health food stores). Continue to fill the other half of the bottle with distilled water. I would not suggest using tap water or otherwise because the tincture will not last as long and lose its potency. Top off the bottle with 15-20 drops of the aspen flower essence and shake/stir the mixture well. Voila. Take as many drops as you please or as needed. 

Anyway, I hope that this recipe is as useful to you as it was for me. Blessed be.

P.S. This is my first Pagan Blog Project kick off post for the year! I'm planning to follow up with an additional post on the history of the apothecary. See you soon!

PBP2014d

2 comments:

Comments or questions are always welcome! May your crafting be magickal. -Rori & Indigo

All photography copyrighted to Rori Healy & Indigo Peters, unless otherwise stated.

Navigation-Menus (Do Not Edit Here!)