Thursday, March 6, 2014

The Charms of Chard


If there is one leafy green that I could never get tired of, it would have to be chard. Lucky for me, my chard clusters not only bloom once but twice a year. Score! As you can guess, I've been harvesting my fair share of these leafy greens lately whilst including them in as many dishes as possible. Regrettably, I've also been racing against those pesky snails in my garden; apparently they love it just as much as I do.

Chard is one of the healthiest foods you can eat and varies in numerous colors--it adds vibrancy to dishes, but also serves as one of the more practical vegetables, packed with all kinds of vitamins (A, K, and C). It's also incredibly easy to grow. You can plant seedlings anytime from early spring to late summer and still have a decent first harvest. You can always expect chard to stay in bloom longer than either kale or spinach.

One of my favorite dishes which includes kale is colcannon. Though traditionally made with cabbage (it's a Celtic/Irish dish after all, go figure) and potatoes you can really substitute any leafy green to your desire. With a mixture of creamy mashed potatoes and fair heap of rich greens, this dish is a definite addition to my comfort food list.

Colcanonn 

Ingredients:4 potatoes, peeled, boiled and mashed
1/4 stick of butter
1 cup milk or cream
1 bushel of chard (about 6-8 stalks)
2 green onions 
After peeling potatoes and placing them in a deep pot to boil, chop green onions and place in a large saute pan with a small amount of butter. Throw in chopped chard and cook until greens are wilted. Drain and mash potatoes. Add butter (until melted) as well as milk/cream. Mix in the greens.  Serve hot with a square of butter on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments or questions are always welcome! May your crafting be magickal. -Rori & Indigo

All photography copyrighted to Rori Healy & Indigo Peters, unless otherwise stated.

Navigation-Menus (Do Not Edit Here!)