Monday, February 10, 2014

Bannock


Although my interest in herbs and healing usually make up the majority of my posts, I thought perhaps today you would enjoy a post of another sort.

Celebrations always put me in a mood of nostalgia and make me crave for certain comforts, but lately it seems that I'm constantly in this kind of spirit. I've been paying more heed to my home, dialing into folk music, and hunger for wholesome, hearty cooking. In essence, I hope to recreate an atmosphere which perhaps the Celtic people would have lived. It may sound silly, even far-fetched, but somehow it's the way in which I connect with my roots best. Anyway, it's a certain kind of healing in itself. 

More than anything, food recaptures the Celtic tradition best for me. Food is a ritual on its own and sharing a feast with friends and family (or even just the gods) is much more spiritual. 

Recently I've taken to perfecting my bannock recipe, otherwise known as flat quick bread or pan-fried bread. Bannock is a dense bread, shaped in an oval or circle. When cross up into triangle pieces, each chunk is usually referred to as a scone. Bannock originated in Northern Britain and Scotland where it was a simple staple food. And simple it is! With no more than four ingredients, you merely need to throw this quick bread on a griddle and watch it do its magic. Although it's usually made with oats and barley, many modern recipes now call for baking powder and flour. Bannock is perfect when breakingfast--I usually serve mine with goat cheese and honey. 

In many pagan traditions, bannock was used as a ritual offering. As a result there are quite a lot of varying recipes calling for certain ingredients according to the season. Since I like to make it often, I have a base recipe of which I add additional ingredients when appropriate. 

Bannock (Quick Bread) Serves 2
Ingredients:
1 1/2 cup of flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 tablespoons butter (melted)
3/4 cup of water
Mix all dry ingredients first following wet ingredients. Knead dough gently until the mixture is firm. Add more water if dough is too dry or add more flour if dough is too sticky. Cook dough on a well grease griddle or frying pan over medium heat (adjust if necessary). Each side should take about 15 minutes. Let the bread rest about 5 minutes before serving.

Bannock is absolutely delicious and satisfying, despite its simplicity. When making a heartier bannock bread, I add various spices and herbs such a nettle, thyme, or rosemary. Not only are these additions tasty, but they're also wonderful for your health. If I'm in the mood for something sweet I'll add blue berries, raspberries... sometimes even mulberries. Either way, savory or sweet, it makes for a great pairing with a dollop of goat cheese and warm honey. Thanks for reading, my dears!
 



1 comment:

  1. That looks absolutely delicious! I'll have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete

Comments or questions are always welcome! May your crafting be magickal. -Rori & Indigo

All photography copyrighted to Rori Healy & Indigo Peters, unless otherwise stated.

Navigation-Menus (Do Not Edit Here!)