Friday, October 11, 2013

Blackberry Pickin's

Although the season is nearing its end for the wild blackberry, I managed to harvest some last minute sweetness. Nothing is more tempting than that of a ripened blackberry.


I may or may not have eaten half of what I picked (heh), but I do intend to bake some muffins from what I did gather.

Some rules of thumb when exploring the thorny depths of a blackberry bush:
  1. Wear gloves. Unless you have a fondness for thorny fingers, I don't suggest you pick bear bare handed. Even if you are quite the berry thief, you shant get away without a few purple stained fingers. I would know. :)
  2. Wear boots. Much of the same goes for your feet. Those bushes are quite affectionate and would love to tangle you in their vines, least you be willing enough. 
  3. Don't wear knit clothing. As I attempted to gather berries in my knit sweater last season, it apparently had an affinity to catching the thorns, thus dragging me down to the pokey depths as I struggled to unlatch myself. It was quite the scene.
  4. Don't harvest in one spot for too long. There are always more bushes and you wouldn't want to exhaust the lovely plant of its gifts.
  5. Do have a few berries for yourself. But try to stick to the task at hand. It's quite tough, I must admit.
  6. Lastly, gather with dignity and express your gratitude. I always bring a music box when gathering and sing a sweet song of thanks. 
Alas, that is all the advice I can give for now. Good-morrow! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments or questions are always welcome! May your crafting be magickal. -Rori & Indigo

All photography copyrighted to Rori Healy & Indigo Peters, unless otherwise stated.

Navigation-Menus (Do Not Edit Here!)