Thursday, December 6, 2012

Story Time


We all have our reasons as to why we turn to homeopathic practices. I find that prescribed or over the counter drugs can only do so much to help a person. These drugs help you when needed right away; whether it be to reduce certain pain, swelling, or other problems.  But in the long term, we are consequently poisoning not only our bodies, but also our future children and generations to come. Why do you you think cancer has become so prevalent within the last century? You can perhaps argue the same for some wildcraft remedies.  Still, I find most programs and "top notch" physicians affiliated with the medical field are in it for all the wrong reasons.

So I'm pretty blatant when I tell you I dislike most, if not all doctors. I find most pharmaceutical companies pathetic. And medical company reps?... they disgust me. So how can I help you see the light on the other side? How can I help you believe me? Well, I guess its time for me to tell you my story.

I've been doubted, misdiagnosed, and mistreated by every doctor I have ever seen--all except for one, my endocrinologist  who I will praise a little later in this post. To start off, I have diagnosed myself days, even months before ever seeing a doctor, yet every time I go to report it to them, they tell me I have an entirely different sickness. I'm sure you're just dying to hear what exactly I've been misdiagnosed or doubted for, so I'll tell you:
When I was 11 years old, three months before I was "officially diagnosed" by a doctor, I had taken interest in a magazine article about juvenile diabetes. It was by a young girl who had carefully written out the tall tale symptoms of diabetes and her early struggles. Soon after, I too developed all of these symptoms she listed. It was truly a miracle that I came across this article because if I had not, perhaps I would have been a lot more passive about this life threatening disease. Still, as the symptoms got worse, my mother finally took me to the doctor. When I told them that I thought I might have juvenile diabetes, the doctor almost laughed at me. I may have been young, but I knew exactly what my body, what my guardian was telling me. Don't ignore this. Keep persisting. Even though I didn't have much of a voice in the adult world yet, I let my mom know how important to me it was that they tested my blood levels. So with a lot of stubborn and unnecessary measures, she finally got them to run the tests. They came back after ten minutes...  I had tested positive for juvenile diabetes.

Scenario's like this literally happen to me as often as the rain falls. But luckily I've learned to do my research, treat myself accordingly, and if all else fails, I demand for doctors to listen to me. It's not that I'm not a healthy person nor does my family have severe health problems. I just happen to be prone to an unfortunate amount of sickness and disease. Just last year I was misdiagnosed yet again. But by the time I gained enough strength to  help myself, things took a turn for the worse. When I first began to feel sick the doctor on site where I worked diagnosed me for post-nasal-drip, basically a sore throat brought on by a simple house cold. She told me to sit in the sun in order to get some vitamin C, and told me to simply take ibuprofen for the pain that I was experiencing in my throat. Pain is an understatement. By the time I left the site where my job was located to get a second opinion, I had developed a severe case of strep throat which had traveled up to my ears and caused one of my ear drums to rupture. I had to be put onto Codeine (the equivalent of Vicodin) because the pain was so severe and I lost all sense of hearing for up to six months. A year later I still have spells of intense ringing in my right ear.

Additional accidental diagnosis's by doctors include asthma, mono, and mesothelioma (a type of skin cancer).

So yes. Apparently Web MD and various homeopathic health magazines know much more than these doctors have ever cared to know. It's the unfortunate truth. Most doctors and medical companies are in this practice merely for the glory of money. Shocking right? It's truly a shame, however I can manage to do just fine without them and so can you if you wish to do so.

Not all doctors are bad. The only good doctor I ever found was my endocrinologist who was appointed to me at the time that I was in the hospital after being officially diagnosed with diabetes. The first thing he ever did when he met me was take my hand in his, looked me straight in the eye and said, "I'm going to be your new uncle. Even though we are of different skin color, I want you to think of me as an uncle. I'm here to take care of you." Dr. P was my saving grace. We've been through a lot. He's a short Indian man who I found difficult to reason with growing up in my teenage years, but the only reason he was difficult was because he so very stubborn in his efforts to care. Just like me. I still consider him uncle.

Wow, I really do rant a lot. Well, the reason for this post is because I have yet another uncaring doctor who wont listen to me (he was the same one who accidentally diagnosed me with asthma). Here we go again. It's one of those days.

Please,  know your body and it's needs. If you have a gut feeling, go by it. Doctors aren't all that bad, and sometimes there's really no way out of a sickness without their help. Just make sure to speak up for yourself and your body. You'll regret it if you don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments or questions are always welcome! May your crafting be magickal. -Rori & Indigo

All photography copyrighted to Rori Healy & Indigo Peters, unless otherwise stated.

Navigation-Menus (Do Not Edit Here!)