Friday, October 10, 2014

Fire Cider Season


It's that time of year again! Cold & flu season are in full swing, so I've been busy making fire cider to keep sickness at bay. If you've been with The Wildcraft Chronicles since the beginning, you'll remember we posted a recipe just last year. I decided to revise the ingredients just a bit, hence the reason for this blog post. I originally found this wonderful concoction in Rosemary Gladstar's Herbal Recipes for Vibrant Health; although her recipe is quite potent, I like to add a bit more kick to mine. You can always adjust the spiciness according to your liking. As for my taste, the spicier, the better.

If you have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about, well then, you're in for a treat! Fire cider is a wonderful way to start the day. This special concoction is quite similar to pickled vegetables in brine. The only difference is that the brine is the most important part. Taking a few tablespoons of the spice infused vinegar protects your immune system and warms up your entire body--great for those cold mornings when it's hard to get out of bed! In addition, it's incredibly beneficial for those of us with bad blood circulation (like diabetics). Last year was the first time I made fire cider, and I can honestly say that it improved my overall health and even prevented me from catching any serious illnesses, like I usually do.

I found that fire cider also makes for a wonderful gift as well.  Nothing like ensuring your loved ones stay healthy this year!


Fire Cider
ingredients:
1 large onion, chopped into wedges
1 tbsp grated ginger
1 tbsp grated horseradish
1 pepper (I used an Anaheim pepper, mildly spicy)
3 cloves of minced garlic
1 tsp turmeric
1 sprig of rosemary
1/8 tsp cayenne
2 chunks of dried ginseng root
Honey to taste
Apple cider vinegar with mother 
preparation:
 1. Place all of the herbal ingredients into a jar. Pour enough apple cider vinegar to cover herbs, leaving an inch of "breathing space". Seal jar tightly, shake, and place in a cool, dark place for 30 days. Remember to shake your jar once a day.
2. After 30 days, separate the vinegar from the herbs and spices. You can either toss the herbs/spices or keep them refrigerated in a separate jar (I like to add them to salads or just eat them plain. The onions are especially delicious!). Take a teaspoon or two every morning for best results.

2 comments:

  1. Just made my batch! Thank you for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are most welcome, dear! Happy health! - Rori

      Delete

Comments or questions are always welcome! May your crafting be magickal. -Rori & Indigo

All photography copyrighted to Rori Healy & Indigo Peters, unless otherwise stated.

Navigation-Menus (Do Not Edit Here!)